Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Pondering the blog commitment

I like blogs that post on a regular basis about everything from mundane daily activities to philosophical thoughts to tips on living in a strange new place to describing new science results to discussing new, interesting books. And more. The key part is the regular basis, which is not an easy commitment when other things in life are clamoring for attention. I almost started a blog for a job website about life as a postdoctoral scientist, expatriate, parent, and soon-to-be-job-seeker. Among other things. This may be the place for that.



The title comes from the question I most often get here--"Why would an American come to Europe? Everyone wants to go the other way!" Well, I am happy to do my part to reverse the "brain drain", because some great, creative research is being done here.



In the meantime you can learn a bit more about that research from the links on my web page:

http://mproulxjhu.googlepages.com/

Technorati Tags: , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not everyone. :)

Big Nose said...

I often point out to those who ask me that I am far from the first--the Uni here actually has some full professors who are from the other side of the ocean. It is funny how many people (who seem quite content here!) ask me, and say that following statement, too.

M E said...

Much easier to stay on top of the blog posting when you've got people leaving comments for you!

Thanks for starting this up, Mike--gotta get inside your head somehow...

(And a little unsolicited advice: If you haven't yet, register yourself on Technorati... it'll drive a little bit of traffic...)

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

Hey Michael! Nice to see you started a blog!

While there are a lot of foreigners in the Unis here, I do understand what you mean. My husband is on the search committee for a director of statistics and epidemiology position here at the Uni and they've been searching and interviewing without much luck for over a year. It's just difficult for German Unis to compete with the US and UK universities for top people (which is what they want for this position). I also sometimes think that they have their sites set a bit too high!